Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Zion I - Bird's Eye View



The best word to describe Zion I is "diverse".

Zion I is an underground hip hop duo from Oakland, California, comprised of AmpLive on beats and production and Zumbi on lyrics.

Zion I is most recognisable for AmpLive's electro influenced production techniques and Zumbi's poetical and knowledgeable flow.



Today's track comes off their 2005 album True and Livin' and follows on from Shabaam Sahdeeq's "I Still Love Her (Hip Hop)" in the tradition of Common's "I Used To Love H.E.R." using the Hip Hop/woman metaphor to describe Hip Hop as a way of life.

But in order to really get a feel for this you need to check out tracks like "Fingerpaint" about graffiti featuring live guitar, "Soo Tall" which I'll embed (below) cuz it has possibly the most tripped out video I've seen, and basically anything else they've ever done, cuz every song's a different style and it's all goooooooood.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

ya know i think shabaam rocked it and common blows it up but since you made the comparison originally i will compare. This track rips it. By far the best of the three mentioned. I have listened to this track 5 times already this morning and it was track of the day a week ago, so 5=x y=7 & dopeness= xy. Therefor people we have a winner yes.