Monday, August 25, 2008

Murs - Better Than The Best



http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aC8XjnIwlog&feature=user

Having spent a couple of days in the mainstream of the West Coast, and a couple more days too sick with the flu to post, I thought I might challenge the stereotypes with a bit of underground LA Hip Hop from MURS - which stands for Making Underground Raw Shit - with a song called "Better Than the Best" where he addresses the preconceptions about West Coast hip hop:

"I mean we got Dogg and we got Cube
Everybody with this blue and the red feud
Man these dudes always trying to kill something
I'm putting words together hoping that you feel something"



While not quite a diss track to his predecessors he puts the wheels in motion with some tight lyrics coming out of LA minus the gangster rap stigma, over a loop sampled from The Four Tops "I Can't Help Myself".

This is a recurrent theme in MURS' style and if you want to check it out more see also "L.A.".

"Better Than the Best" comes off MURS' 2008 album MURS For President.

1 comment:

vanwarrenstom said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE IT!!!!!!!!!!!
Sorry it has taken me so long to start catching up now, btu WORTH the wait.
Good one D.